Saturday, December 3, 2011

Spiced Chicken Stew with Carrots

This is the second time I have made this Spiced Chicken Stew with Carrots. I found the recipe months ago on the Martha Stewart website and it was such a hit in my family I decided to make it again! The Moroccan spices and golden raisins add delicious flavor to the carrots and chicken in this stew. Its warm and flavorful and makes a wonderful dinner on a cold night!

 

Recipe:

2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1 ½ inch lengths
8 skinless chicken thighs (about 2 ½ pounds total)
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 cinnamon stick
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Coarse salt and ground pepper
¼ cup golden raisins
½ cup cilantro leaves
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted if desired

  1. Place carrots in slow cooker. In a bowl, toss together chicken, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high, 4 hours (or on low, 8 hours), adding raisins 15 minutes before cooking is done.
  2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and carrots to a dish (remove cinnamon stick); top with cilantro and almonds. Season cooking liquid with salt and pepper; spoon over chicken.

A couple notes:

This recipe doesn't include any liquid so I added just enough broth to the crock pot to cover the bottom.

I omitted sliced almonds because I didn't have any on-hand.

I slow cooked this stew for 6 hours but on high for 4 hours works just as well.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment