Saturday, November 12, 2011

Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures

Enjoy life's simple pleasures. There are three things in life that I really enjoy doing. Cooking, Running and Wine Tasting.


I discovered my love for wine while I was in college. I was fortunate enough to go to California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, CA. The perfect college setting. Close to the beach, amazing weather, and a downtown filled with boutique shops and restaurants in restored historic buildings. Breathtaking views surrounding the quaint little city. Everything a college student could ever ask for. It didn't take me long to figure out that I was in the heart of the Central Coast wine country. Vineyards lined the country back roads. I was surrounded by wineries featuring some of the best wines in California. Wine Tasting in San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles quickly became one of my favorite things to do and unlocked a lifelong passion for wine.

Staying healthy is very important to me. Exercising regularly, taking vitamins, drinking water everyday and eating foods that fuels my body. I'm not very athletic so staying motivated to go to the gym everyday is a constant battle. I've found that setting fitness goals to work towards is a great motivator. The treadmill and I have a love/hate relationship. I love running and feeling the sense of accomplishment when I reach a running goal. I'm not a good runner, at all. I can barely run a mile without walking and when I do my time is definitely not race worthy. I've set short-term and long-term goals for myself. By the end of this year I would like to be able to run a 5K without walking. My long-term goals are to run a half-marathon and eventually a marathon. 
 
Cooking is a skill that I don't have very much experience in. The kitchen is the one room in the house where everybody gathers. Food, drinks and good company. That is what the kitchen is for. If you go to a party or invite friends over you will always without a doubt end up in the kitchen. It really is the best room in the house so I decided that I wanted to spend more time there. I know the very basics like how to hard-boil an egg and how to steam vegetables. If you were to send me in there right now and ask me to make a meal out of anything I could find, I would probably make a salad....assuming there was lettuce. I've never considered myself to be a very creative person so the thought of blending together foods and flavors is a pretty scary task. I've decided to not beat myself up over my lack of creativity in life....my goal is to find recipes that are delicious, healthy and push me out of my cooking comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment